Friday, February 8, 2008

Our Grandpa Manning

On Wednesday afternoon Tim passed away after a hard fight against cancer. I have never seen a person so determined to beat this disease before. We are so grateful that it took him rather suddenly and that his suffering was not drawn out for too long. Both of Tim's parents died by the time Tim was eleven and we're sure there was the most wonderful and happy reunion at his passing.

Here are Tim and Diane on Christmas day at our house. I don't know that two individuals have ever been so much in love. They literally spent every moment together. Several years ago Tim decided he wanted to take up flying and get his pilot's license. Diane wasn't about to be left behind, so she too became a pilot. They became so enthusiastic about it that they bought their own plane. When Emma was three, Grandpa wanted to take her for a ride. She rode in the front seat next to a man that was completely captivated by her.

Here we are trick-or-treating Grandma and Grandpa on Halloween. He wore this hat often during his treatment and insisted on putting it on before the photo. Sonny and I were finally successful in making him realize that he had a sexy bald head and that a hat was unnecessary.


This was at one of Emma's t-ball games. Anyone that knew Tim years ago would have been shocked that he came to his granddaughter's games. We liked to call him a grumpy old man that liked to stay to himself. However, his grandchildren brought out a mighty change in his heart. He was always amazed that my children weren't afraid of him. :)

Like most grandfathers do, he cared so deeply for his grandchildren. I can remember how delighted he was when he first held Emma. He smiled so proudly at her and rubbed her little bald head. You can tell how much he marveled at his little grandbabies in this picture. This was Tim holding Joseph. I don't think he was ever ready to give him up that day.
I will always remember how sweet and concerned he was for my family. Whenever he hugged the kids goodbye, he knelt down on one knee and grabbed them up. He even did this when it physically hurt him. When Joseph was diagnosed with asthma Tim would always ask about him and send home his own personal medications for him. He loved the kids so much and longed for their happiness. Sonny will miss working with him and the many conversations he was privileged to have with him. Tim wanted to be known as a gruff old man that wanted nothing more than his privacy. However, we'll remember the real Tim. He was good at so many things, but awful at hiding how much he loved his family. He was so loyal and will be missed more than he ever thought possible.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest thing I have ever seen! I love that man. He really did try to put on a persona of hardness, but was unsuccessful at hiding his sweet side. He will be missed so much, but I KNOW he is in a wonderful place with people that love him so much.

Fealyclan said...

Awesome. you are so lucky to have such nice pictures of him. He was always quiet so I didn't know him well but I know how much he was loved & will be remembered.

Trena said...

Ok - tears are running down my face. I love you Kara - My prayers are with you and Sonny.

Amanda said...

So sorry to hear about the sad news. He sounds like an amazing grandpa. Hope you guys are doing o.k.

Anonymous said...

Can you please post something else. This depresses me everytime I check your blog!